In South Florida, we have only two weather-related seasons: hurricane and non-hurricane. Because of this, we devote ourselves to other seasons. Case and point: football.
My previous experience in bars and restaurants has taught me that football is synonymous with two things: wings and beer. Personally, I don’t need the beer. But I do, in fact, love the wings. Luckily for us South Floridians, we all have many, many options for both.
So, for the good of the economy, take advantage of these specials throughout the season.
All season specials are for both college and professional games.
Duffy’s Sports Grill
Being a predominately Palm Beach County restaurant and bar, Duffy’s is slowly moving south with the Deerfield and newly-opened Plantation locations. With 20 stores spreading across the two counties, most Duffy’s locations support the home team Miami Dolphins. The Boca store says they cater to many New York Giants and New York Jets fans, as well as some Washington Redskins regulars.
• $7.99 domestic pitchers
• $2 beer of the month (it’s currently Blue Moon during September)
• 5-for-$9 domestic buckets
• $9.99 “touchdown” combo plate: ¼ rack ribs, chicken fingers and shrimp platter
• Happy Hour is always 4-7 p.m. and 9-cl with 2-4-1 on everything except shots and pitchers. This special includes premiums, top shelf liquors, and multi-liquor mixed drinks.
For daily specials on food, drinks, and how to become a MVP cardholder, follow Duffy’s on Twitter.
Bru’s Room Wings ‘n Things
It’s been 25 years since Buffalo native Eddie Hauck opened his first Bru’s Room in Fort Lauderdale, and seven locations later, they are one of my favorite places for wings. (Attempt to read their history here). Their recent opening in Coconut Creek has been a prime spot for some of my sports-related ventures, including a few UFC fights. With half a dozen jumbo-sized TV’s inside and out, along with two jumbo-sized bars, convenience isn’t just in the look, it’s in the drink specials, too.
Most locations have a mix of fans from all teams, but the Pompano location says they are “Gator central.”
• $3 Heineken, Heineken Light, Dos Equis, and Amstel Light
• $2 domestic drafts and domestic longnecks
• $5 Skyy vodka doubles, Bru’s spiced rum doubles and (get this) Long Island Iced Teas. (Hi, immediately drunk, party of one).
• No one at the Deerfield location could tell me about food discounts, but they have “daily food specials that also go on through the season.”
With the Fort Lauderdale Cordova location being the first of now seven locations, it stands as the oldest QDeck – at 60 years young! – for your football viewing pleasure. With Broward and Palm Beach County locations, the original Quarterdeck plays host to Cincinnati Bengals and Philadelphia Eagles fans alike. Rest assured, though, the home team “gets the speakers,” that is – VIP TV viewing and listening for you Miami Dolphins fans while the others get to follow the closed captioning.
• Free pitcher of 60 oz beer of Bud Light or Bud Select with purchase of two meals http://twitpic.com/fzfpj
• Take-Out only special: $5 ½ rack of ribs; $5 BBQ chickens; $24.99 for 50 wings
• Silly side note: free cappuccino on Wednesdays at Ft. Lauderdale Las Olas location
• Their daily food specials mean they don’t really need to have season specials, since you can get a full rack of baby back ribs for $9.99 during your Sunday venture.
For more daily specials and up-to-date news on the restaurant, follow them on Twitter.
Check back throughout the season for more restaurant, bar and homemade specials.